Friday, November 6, 2009

Locker Room Chatter

My dear sister emailed me recently that she read that exercising doesn't make you lose weight. Well that's okay. I'm going to keep going to the gym anyway. I'm addicted to my spin classes, and the conversation I hear in the locker room is priceless. Who is tanning when and where, whose 4 year old is reading chapter books, and most recently, whether to get the swine flu vaccine, and if so, where to get it. Now I do need to mention that most of these conversations take place in the nude. Why is it that many women like to stand in front of the mirrors at the gym, blow drying their hair, in the nude? Ah, but I digress...

The conversations I heard today just make me wonder. Where are these women getting their information, and who is right, what are the answers? There was an article in the NY Times today by pediatrician Perri Klass about the H1N1 vaccine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/health/10klas.html?_r=1&ref=science

I usually enjoy Dr. Klass' articles. However, I found this one to be mostly uninformative. She quotes another pediatrian telling the parents of his patients that they should not be afraid of the vaccine, as kids put other things up their noses, why is the vaccine any different. Come on, are you serious? I have read a good deal about the H1N1 vaccine and happen not to be afraid of it. As I mentioned in the first entry of my blog, if it were widely available, I would get it. I know the medical system is extremely overwhelmed with sick patients, confused and angry parents, questions, etc. However, I hope that they remember that the confused and angry parents out there are just doing what we're supposed to do, and that's worry about our children. When we're told we should definitely get our kids vaccinated, and then there is no vaccine, it's frustrating! So the journey continues. Good health to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment